Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on E.M. Forster's A Room with a View. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: A Room with a View
- When Written: 1901-1908
- Where Written: Italy and England
- When Published: 1908
- Literary Period: The Edwardian period, modernism
- Genre: Novel, romance.
- Setting: Florence, Italy; England.
- Climax: After breaking off her engagement with Cecil but still not acknowledging her love for George, Lucy runs into Mr. Emerson in the church, and he convinces her to follow her heart and realize her true feelings for George.
- Antagonist: Cecil Vyse; traditional British society.
A View of the Big Screen. In 1985, Forster’s novel was adapted into an Academy Award-winning film, starring Helena Bonham Carter as Lucy Honeychurch.