Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Willy Russell's Blood Brothers. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Blood Brothers
- When Written: 1982
- Where Written: Liverpool, UK
- Literary Period: 20th century musical
- Genre: Musical
- Setting: Liverpool, UK
- Climax: Mrs. Johnstone reveals to Mickey and Edward that they are twin brothers
- Antagonist: The English class system, as represented by the unstable and snobbish Mrs. Lyons
Long live the play! The revival of Blood Brothers on the West End ran for twenty-four years, making it the third-longest running musical in the history of the UK.
Universal appeal. In 2012, a version of the play traveled to South Africa, and many of the main parts were played by black actors. Its director believed that the universal themes of the piece would be instantly relatable to South African audiences.