Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: East of Eden
- When Written: Late 1940s, early 1950s
- Where Written: USA
- When Published: 1952
- Literary Period: Postwar
- Genre: Autobiographical fiction; Postwar fiction; Biblical allegory
- Setting: Salinas, California
- Climax: Cal gives his father a gift of 15 thousand dollars and his father rejects it, inspiring a dangerous kind of anger in his son.
- Antagonist: Catherine Trask
- Point of View: John Steinbeck narrates in 1st person; but parts of the novel are told in 3rd person omniscient.
Visitors Welcome. Steinbeck’s childhood home in Salinas has been preserved and is open to tourists and visitors.