Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Robertson Davies's Fifth Business. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Fifth Business: Context
Fifth Business: Plot Summary
Fifth Business: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Fifth Business: Themes
Fifth Business: Quotes
Fifth Business: Characters
Fifth Business: Symbols
Fifth Business: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Robertson Davies
Historical Context of Fifth Business
Other Books Related to Fifth Business
- Full Title: Fifth Business
- When Written: 1969-1970
- Where Written: Canada
- When Published: 1970
- Literary Period: Postwar literature
- Genre: Conceptual / speculative fiction, historical fiction, postwar literature.
- Setting: Deptford Canada, Europe, South America.
- Climax: Dunstan finally confronts Boy about his role in the Dempster’s tragic lives. Boy astonishes him by revealing he doesn’t even remember the Dempster’s existence.
- Antagonist: Percy (Boy) Staunton
- Point of View: First person (Dunstan Ramsay)
Extra Credit for Fifth Business
That’s Not All. Fifth Business is only the first and most famous installment of The Deptford Trilogy. All of the books focus on the effects of the same single event: a snowball striking Mary Dempster in the head.