Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Alison Bechdel 's Fun Home. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Fun Home: Context
Fun Home: Plot Summary
Fun Home: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Fun Home: Themes
Fun Home: Quotes
Fun Home: Characters
Fun Home: Symbols
Fun Home: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Alison Bechdel
Historical Context of Fun Home
Other Books Related to Fun Home
- Full Title: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
- When Written: From 1998-2005
- When Published: June 8th, 2006
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Graphic Memoir
- Setting: Beech Creek, Pennsylvania; Oberlin, Ohio; Greenwich Village, Manhattan; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
- Climax: Alison and Bruce have their one and only somewhat frank conversation about both of their sexualities, shortly before Bruce’s death.
- Antagonist: Bruce Bechdel
- Point of View: Alison Bechdel, looking back on her memories.
Extra Credit for Fun Home
Broadway: The musical ‘Fun Home’ adapted from this graphic memoir won the Tony Award for best musical in 2015.
Film Criticism: The ‘Bechdel test,’ which tests whether a movie or any other narrative has a moment in which more than two female characters with names speak to each other about any topic other than men, was created by Alison Bechdel in her comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For.