Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Go Set a Watchman
- When Written: 1957
- When Published: 2015
- Literary Period: Contemporary Literature, Political Fiction
- Genre: Fiction; Social Novel
- Setting: The fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama in the 1950s
- Climax: Jean Louise’s angry confrontation with Atticus
- Point of View: Third person omniscient, mostly following Jean Louise
Descendant of General Lee. Harper Lee is actually a descendant of the famed Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
Highly Anticipated Release. The release of Go Set a Watchman in 2015, even decades after it was written, was so anticipated by the public that it was Amazon’s most pre-ordered book since the final book of the Harry Potter series.