Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Half of a Yellow Sun
- When Published: 2006
- Literary Period: Contemporary Nigerian Literature
- Genre: Historical Fiction
- Setting: Nigeria
- Climax: Ugwu fights on the front lines
- Point of View: Third person limited, switching between following Ugwu, Olanna, and Richard
Chinua Achebe. The great Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe was one of Adichie’s most important inspirations and influences, and when she was a child Adichie’s family even lived in Achebe’s former house.
Father. Adichie wasn’t even born until years after the Biafran War, but her parents were both affected by it. Her father James lost his home and his own father during the war, and his experiences were Adichie’s main source for the events of the novel.