Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Gayle Forman's If I Stay. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: If I Stay
- When Written: Late 2000s
- Where Written: New York City
- When Published: 2009
- Literary Period: Contemporary Young Adult Fiction
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction
- Setting: Oregon, United States
- Climax: Adam plays Yo-Yo Ma for Mia, and Mia decides to live.
- Antagonist: There is no major antagonist in the text, besides the older head nurse who, strictly following the rules of the hospital, denies Adam and Kim entry into the ICU because they are not Mia’s relatives.
- Point of View: First Person
Movie. In August 2014, a film version of If I Stay was released in theaters, directed by R.J. Cutler and starring Chloë Grace Moretz as Mia. The film grossed $78.9 million worldwide.
Shooting Star. _Gayle Forman’s husband once played in a band called The Redmond Shooting Stars, which is where Shooting Star, the name of Adam’s band, is taken from.