Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Jojo Moyes 's Me Before You. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Me Before You: Context
Me Before You: Plot Summary
Me Before You: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Me Before You: Themes
Me Before You: Quotes
Me Before You: Characters
Me Before You: Symbols
Me Before You: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Jojo Moyes
Historical Context of Me Before You
Other Books Related to Me Before You
- Full Title: Me Before You
- When Written: 2010-2012
- Where Written: London and Essex, England
- When Published: January 5, 2012
- Literary Period: Contemporary Fiction
- Genre: Novel, Romance
- Setting: Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
- Climax: When Louisa finally comes to terms with Will’s decision to end his own life, she joins him at Dignitas in Switzerland to say goodbye to him before his scheduled appointment.
- Point of View: First person limited, mostly from the protagonist Louisa but including a chapter each from the perspectives of Camilla, Nathan, Steven, and Katrina.
Extra Credit for Me Before You
Real Life Inspiration. Moyes was inspired to write Me Before You because of her experience taking care of a family member struggling with a progressive disease that greatly reduced quality of life. Moyes then read about a 23-year-old rugby player who forced his parents to take him to Dignitas after a rugby incident left him quadriplegic—and she began to write the character of Will.
Controversy. Me Before You has garnered both criticism and praise from the disabled community. Disabled activists online used hashtags such as #MeBeforeEuthanasia and #MeBeforeAbleism to protest the story’s suggestion that disabled lives are not worth living. Yet other groups, such as the Christopher Reeves Foundation, appreciated the book (and its movie adaptation) for portraying a complex, heroic disabled character. Moyes herself has said in interviews that she has no opinion on the right to die and was simply trying to tell a specific story with realistic characters in that layered and multi-faceted situation.