Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Sophocles's Oedipus at Colonus. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Oedipus at Colonus
- When Written: 405–406 B.C.
- Where Written: Athens, Greece
- Literary Period: Classical
- Genre: Tragic drama
- Setting: The sacred grove of the Furies at Colonus, outside of Athens
- Climax: The death of Oedipus
- Antagonist: Creon
Sophocles's Home Town: Sophocles was born at Colonus, and lived his life in Athens during the city-state's golden years. In Oedipus at Colonus, his final play, he has adapted the Oedipus legend to intersect with Athens' origins and provide a mythical foundation for Athens' glory. Sadly, Athens fell from power just a few years after Sophocles's death.