Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Sophocles's Oedipus Rex. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Oedipus Rex (or Oedipus the King)
- When Written: circa 429 B.C.E.
- Where Written: Athens, Greece
- When Published: circa 429 B.C.E.
- Literary Period: Classical
- Genre: Tragic drama
- Setting: The royal house of Thebes
- Climax: When Oedipus gouges out his eyes
- Antagonist: Tiresias; Creon
The Oedipus Complex: Sigmund Freud used the Oedipus story as an important example in his theory of the unconscious. He believed that "It is the fate of all of us, perhaps, to direct our first sexual impulse towards our mother and our first hatred and our first murderous wish against our father." He referred to these two urges as the "Oedipus complex."