Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Oryx and Crake
- When Written: 2001-2003
- Where Written: US and Canada
- When Published: 2003
- Literary Period: Contemporary / feminist
- Genre: Science fiction /speculative fiction
- Setting: North America, unspecified year (most likely late 21st century.)
- Climax: Crake, after it is revealed that he has released a deadly plague, slits Oryx’s throat and is shot by Jimmy as a result.
- Antagonist: Crake
- Point of View: 3rd person limited; Jimmy / Snowman’s perspective.
The LongPen. In addition to being an author and activist, Atwood is also an inventor. She conceived of a remote signing device called the LongPen, which allows her to attend and perform book signings without being present. The LongPen is an actively sold and marketed product by a company Atwood founded.