Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Speak
- When Written: 1999
- Where Written: Mexico, New York
- When Published: October 1999
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: YA fiction
- Setting: Syracuse, NY
- Climax: Andy Evans, Melinda’s rapist, tries to attack her at the end of the school year and she successfully fights him off, finding her voice in the process
- Antagonist: Specifically, Andy Evans, Melinda’s rapist; more broadly, the culture of silence that has made her ashamed of her own rape
- Point of View: 1st person
Such stuff as dreams are made on. In interviews, Laurie Halse Anderson has said that Melinda came to her in a dream; she credits this experience with helping her to develop Melinda’s strong and distinctive voice.
Melinda in the movies. In 2004, Speak was adapted into a movie starring Kristen Stewart; the movie has helped contribute to the widespread popularity of the book.