Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: The Fault in Our Stars
- When Written: 2002-2012
- Where Written: Indianapolis and Amsterdam
- When Published: 2012
- Literary Period: Postmodern
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Coming of Age
- Setting: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Climax: The meeting in Amsterdam with Van Houten
- Antagonist: Cancer
- Point of View: First Person narrative told from Hazel’s point of view
Dedication and Inspiration. Green’s novel is dedicated to Esther Earl. Esther was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 12 and died in 2010, shortly after her 16th birthday. Green has said that Esther was a major inspiration for the novel. Esther’s parents have since published a collection of Esther’s writings called, “This Star Won’t Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earle.”
The Silver Screen. The Fault in Our Stars is set to hit the big screen in the U.S. on June 6th, 2014. John Green spent time on set making video blogs that chronicle his artistic journey in making the film adaption of his novel. The film's trailer gained over 3 million views in less than 24 hours after it was released.