Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Flannery O’Connor's Wise Blood. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Wise Blood
- When Written: 1947-52
- Where Written: Iowa, New York, Georgia
- When Published: May 15, 1952
- Literary Period: Southern Gothic
- Genre: Southern Gothic Novel
- Setting: Taulkinham, Tennessee
- Climax: In the novel’s climax, both protagonists commit separate murders. Hazel runs down the man hired to be his imposter with his car, and Enoch murders the man in the Gonga the Gorilla suit.
- Antagonist: Asa Hawks
- Point of View: Third person, following the perspective of various characters
Chicken. When she was six, Flannery O’Connor starred in a short Pathé News film featuring her chicken, which had been trained to walk backwards.
Georgia Peacocks. Before dying of lupus at age 39, Flannery O’Connor lived on a farm in Georgia and raised many exotic birds, including some 100 peafowl.