Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Amy Ellis Nutt's Becoming Nicole. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Becoming Nicole: Introduction
Becoming Nicole: Plot Summary
Becoming Nicole: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Becoming Nicole: Themes
Becoming Nicole: Quotes
Becoming Nicole: Characters
Becoming Nicole: Terms
Becoming Nicole: Symbols
Becoming Nicole: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Amy Ellis Nutt
Historical Context of Becoming Nicole
Other Books Related to Becoming Nicole
- Full Title: Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family
- When Written: 2011-2015
- Where Written: New Jersey; Maine; Washington, D.C.
- When Published: October 20, 2015
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Nonfiction; Memoir
- Setting: Orono, Maine; Portland, Maine
- Climax: Nicole undergoes her long-awaited sex reassignment surgery.
- Antagonist: Prejudice; Paul and Jacob Melanson
- Point of View: Third person
Extra Credit for Becoming Nicole
Real-Life Superhero. In addition to her activism, Nicole Maines is an actress. One of her recent roles was as a transgender superhero on the show Supergirl.
A Well-Documented Life. In addition to Becoming Nicole, Nicole’s experiences have been featured in two documentaries: Not Your Skin and The Trans List.