Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Nnedi Okorafor's Binti. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Binti: Plot Summary
Binti: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Binti: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Nnedi Okorafor
Historical Context of Binti
Other Books Related to Binti
- Full Title: Binti
- When Written: 2014
- Where Written: Buffalo, New York
- When Published: 2015
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Science Fiction; Space Opera
- Setting: Namibia; a spaceship; Oomza University
- Climax: Binti brokers an agreement between the Meduse and the department heads of Oomza University.
- Antagonist: The Meduse initially seem to be antagonists, but Binti discovers that some researchers at Oomza University are actually at fault.
- Point of View: First Person
Extra Credit for Binti
Call on Your Daughter. Okorafor is open about the fact that when she gets stuck writing, she often enlists her young daughter for help.
African Roots. Okorafor draws from various African languages and cultures as she comes up with names for characters and objects in her writing. Okwu means “word” in Igbo, while an edan is a mystical Yoruba object. Binti, meanwhile, means “girl” in Kiswahili.