Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Margaret Atwood's Happy Endings. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Happy Endings: Introduction
Happy Endings: Plot Summary
Happy Endings: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Happy Endings: Themes
Happy Endings: Quotes
Happy Endings: Characters
Happy Endings: Symbols
Happy Endings: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Margaret Atwood
Historical Context of Happy Endings
Other Books Related to Happy Endings
- Full Title: “Happy Endings”
- When Published: 1983
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Short story, literary fiction
- Setting: Canada
- Climax: The narrator reveals that the endings of stories are all the same.
- Antagonist: Death
- Point of View: Third person omniscient
Extra Credit for Happy Endings
Murder in the Dark: “Happy Endings” is part of a larger collection, Murder in the Dark, which features experimental short fiction and prose poetry.