Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Katherine Mansfield's Her First Ball. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Her First Ball: Introduction
Her First Ball: Plot Summary
Her First Ball: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Her First Ball: Themes
Her First Ball: Quotes
Her First Ball: Characters
Her First Ball: Symbols
Her First Ball: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Katherine Mansfield
Historical Context of Her First Ball
Other Books Related to Her First Ball
- Full Title: Her First Ball
- When Published: 1921
- Literary Period: Modernism
- Genre: Short story
- Setting: A New Zealand dance hall
- Climax: Leila dances with the old man
- Antagonist: The story has no traditional antagonist, but the old man Leila dances with alerts her to the passage of time and her own insignificance, which nearly ruins her night
- Point of View: Third person
Extra Credit for Her First Ball
Mansfield and Murry. The characters of Gudrun and Gerald in D.H. Lawrence’s 1920 novel Women in Love were based on Katherine Mansfield and her second husband John Middleton Murry.
Mutual Admiration. In 1923, Virginia Woolf wrote in her diary that Katherine Mansfield was the only writer she had ever been jealous of, though the two were never close friends.