Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Jesmyn Ward's Salvage the Bones. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Salvage the Bones: Introduction
Salvage the Bones: Plot Summary
Salvage the Bones: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Salvage the Bones: Themes
Salvage the Bones: Quotes
Salvage the Bones: Characters
Salvage the Bones: Symbols
Salvage the Bones: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Jesmyn Ward
Historical Context of Salvage the Bones
Other Books Related to Salvage the Bones
- Full Title: Salvage the Bones
- When Written: Early 2010s
- When Published: 2011
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Fiction
- Setting: Bois Sauvage, Mississippi
- Climax: Hurricane Katrina, which has been bearing down on the Gulf Coast for days, makes landfall and devastates Esch and her family’s home and neighborhood, resulting in their dog China’s disappearance and the death of her remaining puppies.
- Antagonist: Manny; nature
- Point of View: First person
Extra Credit for Salvage the Bones
Close to Home. Jesmyn Ward and her family in DeLisle, Mississippi were real-life victims of Hurricane Katrina. Ward was home when the storm made landfall; she and her family were not aware that the storm was a Category 5 until the night before it hit. Ward’s family’s house flooded, and as the water rose, they went together out into the storm to find shelter elsewhere. Eventually they were able to board a boat and seek shelter at a neighbor’s.