Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Stargirl: Plot Summary
Stargirl: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Stargirl: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Jerry Spinelli
Historical Context of Stargirl
Other Books Related to Stargirl
- Full Title: Stargirl
- When Published: August 8, 2000
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction
- Setting: Mica, Arizona
- Climax: Arriving home from the state oratorical contest, Susan/Stargirl is greeted by one classmate instead of the hero’s welcome she envisioned.
- Antagonist: Mica High School students
- Point of View: First Person
Extra Credit for Stargirl
Streaming Stargirl. A Stargirl film adaptation is scheduled to be released on the new Disney+ streaming service in 2020. Stargirl Caraway will be played by Grace VanderWaal, a 2016 winner of America’s Got Talent, who, like Stargirl, sings and accompanies herself on the ukulele.
Sonny and Stargirl. The scene in which Stargirl receives a tepid welcome home from her oratory contest victory was inspired by the real-life story of Sonny Liston, a professional boxer in the 1950s and ‘60s, who expected a hero’s welcome upon returning home from a championship victory—but no one greeted his arrival. Spinelli wishes he could have met Liston and comments, “I’d like to dump a teacup of confetti on his head.”