Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
The Hate U Give: Introduction
The Hate U Give: Plot Summary
The Hate U Give: Detailed Summary & Analysis
The Hate U Give: Themes
The Hate U Give: Quotes
The Hate U Give: Characters
The Hate U Give: Terms
The Hate U Give: Symbols
The Hate U Give: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Angie Thomas
Historical Context of The Hate U Give
Other Books Related to The Hate U Give
- Full Title: The Hate U Give
- When Written: 2017
- Where Written: Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.
- When Published: February 28, 2017
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction
- Setting: The lower-class, predominantly black neighborhood of Garden Heights and the upper-crust world of Williamson Prep.
- Climax: Starr and her neighbors embrace the power of their voices to create change; Starr defends Khalil’s life at the protests following the indictment verdict, while Garden Heights residents tell police that King set fire to Maverick’s store.
- Antagonist: One-Fifteen, King
- Point of View: First person
Extra Credit for The Hate U Give
Personal Experience. Like the protagonist of her novel, Angie Thomas witnessed a shootout as a child in her hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.
Historical Connections. Thomas grew up close to civil rights activist Medgar Evers’ home, and says her mother heard the gunshot that killed him.