Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Cate Kennedy's White Spirit. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
White Spirit: Introduction
White Spirit: Plot Summary
White Spirit: Detailed Summary & Analysis
White Spirit: Themes
White Spirit: Quotes
White Spirit: Characters
White Spirit: Symbols
White Spirit: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Cate Kennedy
Historical Context of White Spirit
Other Books Related to White Spirit
- Full Title: White Spirit
- When Written: 2012
- Where Written: Australia
- When Published: 2012
- Literary Period: Contemporary fiction
- Genre: Short story
- Setting: A public housing centre in an unnamed Australian suburb
- Climax: The narrator realizes she has failed the community and moves to leave the mural celebration event
- Antagonist: The story’s antagonist is not one singular character, but rather systemic appropriation and exploitation of nonwhite people by the white people in power.
- Point of View: First person
Extra Credit for White Spirit
Desert Island Book. Cate Kennedy says if she were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, it would be Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.