Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on R. J. Palacio's Wonder. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Wonder: Plot Summary
Wonder: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Brief Biography of R. J. Palacio
Historical Context of Wonder
Other Books Related to Wonder
- Full Title: Wonder
- When Written: 2011
- Where Written: New York City
- When Published: 2012
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction
- Setting: Upper Manhattan, late 2010s
- Climax: When Amos, Miles, and Henry stand up for Auggie during the class camping trip
- Antagonist: Julian Albans
- Point of View: First person, narrated by August, Via, Jack, Miranda, and Justin
Extra Credit for Wonder
Cher. In the 1984 movie Mask, the singer Cher played the role of a mother of a child with a craniofacial condition similar to August's. Since then, she's remained active in the Children's Craniofacial Association and is currently their national spokesperson. She regularly calls children to check in before and after surgeries and often invites them to her concerts.
Raising Awareness. The Children's Craniofacial Association has embraced Wonder as an essential part of its mission to spread awareness for children with craniofacial anomalies. They facilitate a program that matches classrooms that read Wonder with a "buddy" with a craniofacial anomaly so that students can meet "real-life Auggies" and ask them questions.