Troilus and Cressida Translation Act 5, Scene 9
Enter AGAMEMNON, AJAX, MENELAUS, NESTOR, DIOMEDES, and others, marching. Shouts within
Hark! hark! what shout is that?
Listen! Listen! Who is shouting like that?
Drums, stop playing!
Achilles! Achilles! Hector's slain! Achilles.
Achilles! Achilles! Hector's slain! Achilles!
The bruit is, Hector's slain, and by Achilles.
The message is that Hector's slain, and by Achilles.
If it be so, yet bragless let it be;Great Hector was a man as good as he.
If that's true he shouldn't boast about it. Great Hector was as good a man as Achilles.
March patiently along: let one be sent To pray Achilles see us at our tent. If in his death the gods have us befriended, Great Troy is ours, and our sharp wars are ended.
Let's carry on walking back, send someone to ask Achilles to see us in our tent. If the gods have let Hector die then Troy is ours and these awful wars will be over.
- Downloadable translations of every Shakespeare play and sonnet
- Downloads of 1338 LitCharts Lit Guides
- Explanations and citation info for 29,391 quotes covering 1338 books
- Teacher Editions for every Lit Guide
- PDFs defining 136 key Lit Terms