Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: Never Let Me Go
- When Written: 2004
- Where Written: London, England
- When Published: 2005
- Literary Period: the 21st-century novel
- Genre: bildungsroman; science fiction; speculative fiction
- Setting: Various locations in England, in the 1990s
- Climax: Miss Emily reveals to Tommy and Kathy that there is not, nor has there ever been, a “deferral” available for clone couples who are “truly in love.”
- Point of View: first-person
Film version. In 2010, a film of Never Let Me Go was released, with performances by Carey Mulligan (Kathy), Keira Knightley (Ruth), and Andrew Garfield (Tommy). The adaptation received mixed reviews.