Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: A Tale of Two Cities
- When Written: 1859
- Where Written: Rochester and London
- When Published: 1859
- Literary Period: Victorian era
- Genre: Historical novel
- Setting: London and Paris
- Climax: Sydney Carton's rescue of Charles Darnay from prison
- Antagonist: French revolutionaries; Madame Defarge
- Point of View: Third person omniscient
Serial fiction: Like many of Dickens's novels, A Tale of Two Cities was first published in installments in his magazine All the Year Round. Many Victorian novels were first published in serial parts and then later collected into books.
American favorite: Since its publication, A Tale of Two Cities has always been Dickens's most popular work in America.