Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on James Dashner's The Maze Runner. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
- Full Title: The Maze Runner
- When Written: 2006
- Where Written: USA
- When Published: 2009
- Literary Period: Young Adult Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
- Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
- Setting: The Glade and the Maze
- Climax: Thomas and other Gladers fight off the Grievers and find the exit to the Maze
- Antagonist: The Grievers and the Creators
- Point of View: Close Third-Person
Blockbuster: The Maze Runner was adapted into a 2014 film of the same name. The popularity of the film has ensured that the book’s sequel, The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, will be made into a movie.
Prequel: For those interested in the events leading up to the story in The Maze Runner, Dashner wrote a prequel entitled The Kill Order, which tells the story of the sun flares that hit Earth and threatened to wipe out humanity.