Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Cate Kennedy's Like a House on Fire. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Like a House on Fire: Introduction
Like a House on Fire: Plot Summary
Like a House on Fire: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Like a House on Fire: Themes
Like a House on Fire: Quotes
Like a House on Fire: Characters
Like a House on Fire: Symbols
Like a House on Fire: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Cate Kennedy
Historical Context of Like a House on Fire
Other Books Related to Like a House on Fire
- Full Title: Like a House on Fire
- When Written: 2012
- Where Written: Victoria, Australia
- When Published: 2012
- Literary Period: Contemporary, Realism
- Genre: Literary fiction, short story
- Setting: Probably Victoria, Australia
- Climax: The narrator and his wife have an argument about his overbearing need for control, and he realizes the extent to which his back injury is destroying his marriage.
- Point of View: First person
Extra Credit for Like a House on Fire
Teaching. Kennedy has taught many writing courses and workshops, including the Masters in Creative Writing program at Pacific University, Oregon.
Book worm. During her thirties, Kennedy was a librarian in Daylesford—a small town in rural Victoria. It was here that she happened across the entry form for the Scarlet Stiletto short story prize, which kickstarted her writing career.