Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
The Night Circus: Introduction
The Night Circus: Plot Summary
The Night Circus: Detailed Summary & Analysis
The Night Circus: Themes
The Night Circus: Quotes
The Night Circus: Characters
The Night Circus: Symbols
The Night Circus: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Erin Morgenstern
Historical Context of The Night Circus
Other Books Related to The Night Circus
- Full Title: The Night Circus
- When Written: 2005
- Where Written: Massachusetts and New York City
- When Published: 2011
- Literary Period: Contemporary American Literature
- Genre: Fantasy, Speculative Fiction
- Setting: Various settings, mainly London and Concord, MA, late 19th century to early 20th century
- Climax: Marco and Celia jump into the bonfire to escape the competition
- Point of View: 3rd and 2nd
Extra Credit for The Night Circus
If At First You Don’t Succeed… Morgenstern was rejected by thirty literary agents before signing with Inkwell Management and publishing her novel with Doubleday, a major publishing company, in 2011.
You, Too, Can Join the Circus! In 2011, before the book was published, The Night Circus was turned into an interactive game, which is still available to play online. There have been plans to make the novel into a movie or television show as well, although the screenplay has been in progress since 2012 with nothing confirmed yet.