Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Zadie Smith's White Teeth. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
White Teeth: Introduction
White Teeth: Plot Summary
White Teeth: Detailed Summary & Analysis
White Teeth: Themes
White Teeth: Quotes
White Teeth: Characters
White Teeth: Symbols
White Teeth: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Zadie Smith
Historical Context of White Teeth
Other Books Related to White Teeth
- Full Title: White Teeth
- When Written: 1997
- Where Written: Cambridge, England
- When Published: 2000
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Postmodernism, Historiographic Metafiction
- Setting: North London, Eastern Europe (in flashbacks), Jamaica (in flashbacks)
- Climax: Millat attempts to shoot Dr. Perret at the FutureMouse unveiling, and Archie steps in front of the bullet.
- Antagonist: Dr. Perret
- Point of View: Third-Person Omniscient
Extra Credit for White Teeth
Television Adaptation. The British television network Channel 4 broadcast an adaptation of White Teeth in 2002, focused mainly on the male characters Archie, Samad, Millat, and Magid.
Publication History. The publication rights for Smith’s novel were auctioned off before the novel was completed in 1997—and before Smith had even graduated from Cambridge University.