Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Bridge to Terabithia: Introduction
Bridge to Terabithia: Plot Summary
Bridge to Terabithia: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Bridge to Terabithia: Themes
Bridge to Terabithia: Quotes
Bridge to Terabithia: Characters
Bridge to Terabithia: Symbols
Bridge to Terabithia: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Katherine Paterson
Historical Context of Bridge to Terabithia
Other Books Related to Bridge to Terabithia
- Full Title: Bridge to Terabithia
- When Written: Mid-1970s
- When Published: 1977
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young Adult Fiction
- Setting: Virginia
- Climax: Jess learns that his best friend Leslie has died after falling into the rushing creek which separates their neighborhood from a dense wood—and from their imaginary “kingdom,” the land of Terabithia.
- Antagonist: Janice Avery; Mr. Aarons
- Point of View: Third Person
Extra Credit for Bridge to Terabithia
Based on a True Story. While young readers have, for decades, found themselves moved and challenged by the heartbreaking story of Bridge to Terabithia, few may know that it is based on a real-life tragedy. When Katherine Paterson’s son David was young, his best friend, Lisa Hill, died suddenly after being struck by lightning during a storm. Paterson wrote the novel as a tribute to Lisa and David—and, 30 years later, David produced and co-wrote the popular 2007 film adaptation of the book starring Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb.