Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Cate Kennedy's Ashes. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Ashes: Plot Summary
Ashes: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Ashes: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Cate Kennedy
Historical Context of Ashes
Other Books Related to Ashes
- Full Title: Ashes
- When Written: 2009
- Where Written: Victoria, Australia
- When Published: 2012
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Short Story
- Setting: Australia
- Climax: As Chris scatters his late father’s ashes in the lake, he realizes that he could’ve made more of an effort in their relationship.
- Antagonist: Chris’s Mother; Chris’s Father/Alan
- Point of View: Third Person
Extra Credit for Ashes
The “Ow” Factor. In a 2008 interview with Overland magazine, Kennedy stated that the “’ow’ factor”—the ability to elicit painful emotions in readers—is something she appreciates in short stories.