Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Nineteen Minutes: Introduction
Nineteen Minutes: Plot Summary
Nineteen Minutes: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Nineteen Minutes: Themes
Nineteen Minutes: Quotes
Nineteen Minutes: Characters
Nineteen Minutes: Symbols
Nineteen Minutes: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Jodi Picoult
Historical Context of Nineteen Minutes
Other Books Related to Nineteen Minutes
- Full Title: Nineteen Minutes
- When Written: 2006-2007
- Where Written: Hanover, New Hampshire
- When Published: 2007
- Literary Period: Twenty-First Century American Fiction
- Genre: Popular Fiction
- Setting: The fictional small town of Sterling, New Hampshire
- Climax: During Peter’s trial, Josie confesses that she shot Matt.
- Antagonist: Peter Houghton; Matt Royston, Drew Girard, and Peter’s other bullies
- Point of View: Third-Person Limited
Extra Credit for Nineteen Minutes
The Family That Writes Together. Picoult has co-written two young adult novels with her daughter, Samantha van Leer.
A Literary Universe. Several of Picoult’s characters recur in several distinct novels she’s written, including Jordan McAfee and Patrick Ducharme.