Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Justin Torres's We the Animals. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
We the Animals: Introduction
We the Animals: Plot Summary
We the Animals: Detailed Summary & Analysis
We the Animals: Themes
We the Animals: Quotes
We the Animals: Characters
We the Animals: Symbols
We the Animals: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Justin Torres
Historical Context of We the Animals
Other Books Related to We the Animals
- Full Title: We The Animals
- When Published: September 2011
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Realism, Contemporary Fiction
- Setting: Upstate New York
- Climax: Just after the narrator has sex for the first time with a man, he goes home to discover that his family has read his journal, in which he has detailed his sexual fantasies about other men. Reacting fiercely, he screams and lunges at them, prompting them to take him to a psych ward.
- Antagonist: Paps and—more generally—the aggression and violence that accompanies his conception of masculinity.
Extra Credit for We the Animals
The Big Screen. We The Animals was adapted into a feature-length film in 2018. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, where it won the NEXT Innovator Award.
5 Under 35. On the merit of We The Animals, Torres was included on the National Book Foundation’s “5 Under 35” list of young writers to watch.