Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Karen McManus's One of Us is Lying. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
One of Us is Lying: Introduction
One of Us is Lying: Plot Summary
One of Us is Lying: Detailed Summary & Analysis
One of Us is Lying: Themes
One of Us is Lying: Quotes
One of Us is Lying: Characters
One of Us is Lying: Symbols
One of Us is Lying: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Karen McManus
Historical Context of One of Us is Lying
Other Books Related to One of Us is Lying
- Full Title: One of Us Is Lying
- When Written: 2010s
- Where Written: Cambridge, Massachusetts
- When Published: 2017
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young adult fiction, mystery
- Setting: Bayview, California
- Climax: Addy, with the help of her classmates Bronwyn, Cooper, and Nate, discovers that their classmate Simon Kelleher orchestrated his own death in order to frame the four of them for his murder and get back at them for possessing the social and intellectual gifts he lacked.
- Antagonist: Simon Kelleher
- Point of View: Alternating first-person
Extra Credit for One of Us is Lying
Nevertheless, She Persisted. Karen M. McManus maintains an active Twitter account from which she shares writing advice and insider info about the often-cutthroat world of Young Adult publishing; during a #ShareYourRejections campaign, she tweeted that her first (unpublished) novel was rejected by over 120 agents.