Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Louis Sachar's Holes. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Holes: Plot Summary
Holes: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Holes: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Louis Sachar
Historical Context of Holes
Other Books Related to Holes
- Full Title: Holes
- When Written: 1997-98
- Where Written: Texas, USA
- When Published: 1998
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Children's/Young Adult Fiction; Adventure Novel
- Setting: Latvia, mid-1800s; Green Lake, TX 1880s; Camp Green Lake, late 1990s
- Climax: Ms. Morengo arrives, allowing Stanley and Hector to safely climb out of a hole with the mysterious suitcase and escape the Warden
- Antagonist: Trout Walker, the Warden, and the counselors
- Point of View: Third person omniscient
Extra Credit for Holes
Reading Should Be Fun. Sachar has said that he writes the kind of books he does (funny, with outlandish characters) with the intention of making reading enjoyable for young readers.
Sigourney Weaver. Sigourney Weaver, who plays the Warden in the film adaptation of Holes, initially expressed interest in working on the project due to the fact that her daughter loves the novel.