Welcome to the LitCharts study guide on Michael Morpurgo's Private Peaceful. Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides.
Private Peaceful: Introduction
Private Peaceful: Plot Summary
Private Peaceful: Detailed Summary & Analysis
Private Peaceful: Themes
Private Peaceful: Quotes
Private Peaceful: Characters
Private Peaceful: Symbols
Private Peaceful: Theme Wheel
Brief Biography of Michael Morpurgo
Historical Context of Private Peaceful
Other Books Related to Private Peaceful
- Full Title: Private Peaceful
- When Written: 2003
- Where Written: Devon, England
- When Published: 2003
- Literary Period: Contemporary
- Genre: Young Adult, War, Bildungsroman
- Setting: First in the village of Iddesleigh in Devon, and then in the battlefields of Belgium in the First World War
- Climax: The execution of Charlie Peaceful
- Point of View: First person
Extra Credit for Private Peaceful
Famous Fathers. Michael didn’t know about his birth father, Tony Van Bridge, until he watched the film Great Expectations with his mother. His father (an actor) was starring in it.
True Story? Much of the story of Private Peaceful is based on real conversations Michael Morpurgo had with war veterans from the village of Iddesleigh in Devon, where he lives.